May 7, 2013

Getting the Garden to Grow: Seed Starting

Before I've even planted any seeds, the strawberries are coming up and the fluffy neighborhood bunny is already taste testing my crop!

I sent the other half of Lilliworm to put up the berry protection barrier, which you might remember from last year:
berry fencing
Once the berry crop was secured, I mixed up some peat moss and vermicompost to plant my starter seeds in. There was only one problem: the vermicompost was still a little...well, vermi-full. There had to be a brief recovery session before I could finish mixing:
vermicompost worms 
I made as many of the small seed-starter-from-paper-roll containers that I could with the rolls I'd saved, and found two smaller containers and some Dixie cups to make up the rest.
organic starter seeds
I planted peppers, spinach, tomatoes, sweet peppers, cilantro, cucumbers, and lettuce, and I labeled the starter "pots" with a Sharpie (RP is red pepper and T is tomato!): 
organic red pepper starter seeds

 The finished tray looked like this:
organic starter seeds
 The final step was to create the "greenhouse effect"...but in a good way!
organic starter seeds
Throughout the planting process, I noticed I hadn't completely de-vermed the vermicompost, so I set up a cup for the displaced worms until they could safely be returned to the Wigwam.

I'm sure this cup o' escaping worms would give my Mom nightmares- Happy Mother's Day!
red worms
Updates are growing as you read this...



No comments: